SARASOTA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
About Our Job
Sarasota County Government is seeking a Supervisor – Utility Maintenance (Water/Wastewater) for the Public Utilities Department. This position supervises work crews for both routine and emergency maintenance, repair and construction of water and sewer utilities, stormwater systems, equipment facilities. Duties include arranging for necessary equipment, tools, and assistance from other operations. The person in this role also reviews and monitors safety of workers and equipment; interfaces with management on issues related to budgeting, staffing, discipline of employees, training/development, scheduling, and other activities involving discretion and judgment.
- Organizes, coordinates, and schedules daily activities and functions of assigned work crews.
- Reviews and monitors safety equipment, instructs crews in proper work methods, and correct safety procedures.
- Assigns work crews to emergency operations.
- Trains and develops staff on utilization of equipment and operations.
- Interfaces with other units/core services and city officials in a professional and timely fashion.
- Ensures compliance with county, state and OSHA regulations; coordinates use of external resources/vendors.
- Coordinates and ensures appropriate supply of work materials; tracks and maintains store inventories.
- Participates in hiring of staff, job descriptions, performance reviews, and disciplinary actions.
- Arranges for major equipment at emergency and scheduled work sites.
- Ensures master schedule of routine maintenance operations.
- Assist with research for cost and oversees expenditures for the operations and equipment needed.
- Ensures long range maintenance plans and coordinates with outreach groups.
- Ensures and monitors vendor contracts; assists in union negotiations.
- A High School Diploma or its equivalent and four (4) years of related experience, including supervisor experience.
- OR a two (2) year Associates degree with two (2) years of related experience, including supervisor experience in operation, maintenance, repair and construction of the water and sewer utilities or related.
- A minimum of 1-year supervisory experience is required (lead worker or acting in a supervisory capacity may be counted).
- Valid State of Florida Driver’s License.
- Must be able to obtain within six (6) months from date of hire and maintain a Valid State of Florida Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class “A” with Tanker “N” endorsement.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP): Water Distribution System-Level 1, Drinking Water Treatment-Class A and or Wastewater Treatment-Class “A” Certification(s).
- NASSCO-PACP, MACP & LACP Certification(s).
- Valid State of Florida Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class “A” with Tanker “N” endorsement preferred. Distribution Operator License – Level 1.
About Everything Else:
Pay range: $24.06 – $31.35