CURRENT EVENTS, NEWS & ACTION ALERTS
- NACo Broadband Task Force: Subcommittee Reports
- County Resolutions
- House Tourism, Infrastructure & Energy Subcommittee on January 27, 2021: Broadband Deployment Presentation from the Department of Economic Opportunity’s Director Dane Eagle
- Action Alert: DEO – OFFICE OF Broadband needs critical information from counties
- Action Alert: Florida Counties are encouraged to adopt a resolution in support of the Department of Economic Opportunity – Office of Broadband implementation efforts regarding increasing the availability and effectiveness of broadband internet throughout the state
- Action Alert: Florida’s counties are encourage to learn more and implement NACo’s TEST IT application to provide more accurate accessibility data for future broadband deploymen
ACCESS 67 is an initiative of the Florida Association of Counties (FAC) to implement a comprehensive approach to empowering our members to develop solutions to address the impacts of the lack of ACCESS to critical telecommunication and information technology resources in Florida communities.
FAC recognizes that this lack of ACCESS impacts small, medium and large counties, as well as, Florida’s rural and urban communities. Additionally, the lack of ACCESS impacts multiple policy areas that FAC’s members are responsible for in the governance of their local communities to include, but are not limited to, public safety, healthcare, economic development and education.
The comprehensive approach of the ACCESS 67 Initiative is based on the underlying principles of the Association’s strategic plan; Advocacy, Collaboration, and Education.
- FAC, as directed by its members, will advocate for the adoption, as well as, the implementation of state and federal policies that contribute to the development of solutions that address the lack of ACCESS in our local communities.
- FAC will identify opportunities and provide support for our members to collaborate with other stakeholders who share a common goal in developing solutions to address the lack of ACCESS in our local communities.
- FAC and the Institute for County Government will develop and produce educational content designed to empower our members with information that will assist them in developing effective local solutions to the impacts of the lack of ACCESS in their communities. These educational efforts will be inclusive of the facilitation of the sharing of best practices among Florida’s counties and similar communities and organizations from around the country.
Webinar: Broad Uses, Broad Needs, Broadband: Planning for Florida’s Transportation Infrastructure
Sponsored by: FDOT Transportation Planning Exchange
Internet Service Provider Program Resources
The link here provides information on the low-cost internet programs of Florida’s internet service providers.
- The Stay Connected Program through Charter Communications is a partnership with local governments and school districts for bulk services.
- Comcast’s Internet Essentials link has information on multiple topics to assist consumers during the pandemic.
- CenturyLink Lifeline Information where low income families will have access to $50 a month for broadband. More information available here.
- Mediacom Connect 2 Compete: This program is available for students who are on free or reduced lunch.