Florida Resolutions Adopted by NACo (2022- 2023)
Telecommunications & Technology Resolutions
- Resolution to Support Federal Solutions to the “Homework Gap,” Commissioner Terry Burroughs of Okeechobee County, Florida.
Resolution to Support Federal Solutions to the “Homework Gap”
Issue: Given the ever-increasing need for digital connectivity for children to successfully complete their schoolwork, the “homework gap” is leading to inequities in education in counties across America, which negatively impacts child development, the success of our economies and the quality of living in our communities.
Adopted Policy: To address internet affordability and adoption issues in K-12 education known as the “homework gap,” the National Association of Counties (NACo) urges Congress to provide additional resources to extend the Emergency Connectivity Fund while exploring permanent solutions to provide high quality, subsidized and discounted internet and computer access to low-income K-12 students through a shared cost formula spread between providers, families, and the federal government.
- Resolution to Support a Permanent Federal Broadband Assistance Program, Commissioner Terry Burroughs of Okeechobee County, Florida.
Resolution to Support a Permanent Federal Broadband Assistance Program
Issue: Congress authorized the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) as part of the Bipartisan
Infrastructure Law of 2021 to subsidize monthly internet access and one-time equipment purchases for eligible low-income households. However, resources for the ACP are temporary, meaning families currently benefitting from this service will lose access once funds are exhausted.
Adopted Policy: The National Association of Counties (NACo) urges Congress to permanently authorize and fund the ACP to ensure that low-income county residents can continue to afford internet service while holding participating Internet Service Providers accountable for providing appropriate levels of quality, affordable service to eligible households. Any new resources for the should incorporate substantial outreach and education efforts, in partnership with local governments, to ensure eligible residents are taking advantage of the program.
2022 – 2023 Telecommunications and Technology Resources
- Resolution to Ensure the Participation of County Governments in the Development and Implementation of Broadband Expansion Efforts
- Resolution in Support of Empowering Counties to Be Active in the Deployment and Operations of High-Speed Internet
- Resolution to Support Federal Solutions to the “Homework Gap”
- Resolution to Support a Permanent Federal Broadband Assistance Program
- Resolution Calling on Congress to Actively Engage Counties Prior to Developing New Wireless Infrastructure
- Resolution on High-Speed Internet Parity
- Resolution Encouraging Congress to Alter the challenge Rules to the Universal Service Fee HighCost Areas – Connect America Fund
- Resolution Encouraging Congress and the FCC to Implement the Findings of the “Ending 9-1-1 Diversion Now Strike Force” Final Report
- Resolution in Support of Mandating that Unspent RDOF Dollars are Reappropriated to ShovelReady Projects Via Existing Broadband Infrastructure Grant Programs