US News & World Reported that Sarasota, Florida is the number 1 place in Florida and Number 18 in the country for best places to live. We need your help to create wonderful experiences for residents and vacationing guests navigating Sarasota. Capital Projects manages the county’s approximately 1-billion-dollar capital projects program – overseeing projects from design through construction completion in the areas of Utilities, Facilities, and Transportation. We have an opening and you can join this dedicated high-performing team of County professionals. Enjoy great benefits including the Florida Retirement System (FRS), Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System and many, many more such as optional insurance options for Accident, Cancer, Long Term Care and Identity Theft and award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at 7 Sarasota County Government locations.
Technical/Construction Manager II, Construction (Official Job Title: Manager II - Construction): This position is responsible for executing the construction of the Utilities Capital Improvement Program on behalf of the Public Utilities Department which includes overall management and delivery of projects during construction and in accordance with the contract documents, as well as other construction-related tasks. Provides overall direction for constructing complex programs/projects, leads work teams, and handles multi-disciplinary and technically challenging projects and programs within the Utility CIP. Typical projects involve extensive coordination and collaboration with interagency departments, regulatory agencies, and the citizens and communities where work is performed.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening:
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
Plans, organizes, supervises, directs and reviews the work of assigned personnel, for executing the Utility Capital Improvement Program during construction:
- Responsible for the construction of the Utility CIP, in accordance with contract documents, on schedule and within budget.
- Responsible for managing Utility CIP projects/programs during construction and in accordance with contract documents.
- Manages development of Requests for Professional Services for construction phase services and assigns PSRC members.
- Provides oversight of scope development and fee negotiations for construction phase services.
- Reviews and provides input on technical correspondence, reports, and technical memorandums.
- Works closely with Procurement and Office of the County Attorney on the development of contractual documents for services during construction and Change Orders.
- Navigates, edits and prepares contractual documents in OnBase for those contracts in which the position is responsible for.
- Provides constructability reviews, and review of plans and technical specifications for adherence to minimum Utility Code.
- Ensures compliance to permit stipulations during construction of individual projects.
- Manages Utility project construction, from award of a construction contract through turn-over to the owner department.
- Provides oversight and approval of pay applications and final pay applications above a certain threshold and in accordance with internal business practices for construction contracts.
- Provides oversight and approval of IFCAs with appropriate supporting documentation.
- Negotiates fair pricing, when needed, for items not specifically identified in the bid form and contract documents.
- Participates in dispute resolution of claims, and/or mediation and litigation.
- Provides technical support to the Operational Manager.
- Leads Utility Construction Section with a focus on continuous improvement, resulting in quality projects/programs.
- Mentors staff, encourages professional development, and provides opportunities to increase core competencies.
- Deploys pertinent information and new processes affecting the team’s work.
- Reviews work of construction professionals to ensure technical competencies and corrects any deficiencies.
- Participates in public outreach meetings, development of project communications and other similar items associated with individual projects.
- Reviews and approves monthly project schedules and website updates.
- Develops and conducts annual performance evaluations, approval of timecards and billing logs, and processes leave requests.
- Ensures billable targets are consistently met.
- Performs timely and accurate administrative functions by the appropriate due dates, as determined by their manager.
- Demonstrates appropriate interpersonal skills in the workplace.
Alignment of Business Center Core Services with Board Strategic Initiatives
- Supports the development and execution of Utilities CIP that complies with the Board’s strategic initiatives, such as water quality, septic to sewer, beneficial reuse, and assurance of potable water supply.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in areas of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required in civil engineering, project management construction management or in a highly related field and four (4) years of related experience or an Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university and 6-years of job-related experience or year-for-year experience may substitute for the college degree. Two (2) years of supervisory experience is also required.
Preferred Qualifications: Professional Engineering certification from the State of Florida is helpful. Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Association in Project Management (CAPM).
Job Based Competencies: e-Builder, Outlook, Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA