Solid Waste Division Manager (Official Job Title: Manager III) (pending vacancy) This position involves the overall planning, execution and management of Solid Waste Operations activities including collection, disposal, processing and recycling of waste resources created in the County.
Location: 4000 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis, Fl
Pay Range: $69,388.80 - $93,080.00
Apply online at: http://bit.ly/2OML0FU
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Join a dedicated high-performing team of County professionals!
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- Award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service.
- Click Here to View Our Benefits Guide
Will successfully perform advanced level management work covering overall planning and managerial duties in the following sections of the Solid Waste Division: Landfill Operations, Collections, Hazardous Waste, Keep Sarasota County Beautiful, recycling and other related programs.
- Oversees all functions of the Solid Waste Division including the development of business plans and strategies for current and future activities.
- Manages, develops and implements strategic goals and objectives related to Solid Waste programs.
- Prepares and oversees annual budget and financial activities.
- Prepares and presents reports and information related to Solid Waste programs.
- Supervises professional, technical, clerical and administrative staff.
- Responsible for managing/overseeing performance appraisal process related to Solid Waste.
- Coordinates with HR on employee relations including recommendations and administration of disciplinary action.
- Provides oversight of procurement of goods and services for the Solid Waste Division.
- Develops and trains personnel for advancement in the organization including the development and implementation of succession planning.
- Provides oversight of special projects including general direction regarding resources and approach to projects.
- Work with key staff to negotiate contracts with other agencies/contractors.
- Demonstrates proficient communication skills when addressing Board of County Commissioners, County Administrator, other agencies, and the public on behalf of the Solid Waste Division.
- Provide honest evaluations and feedback to key staff.
- Handle complex and difficult assignments in a timely manner.
- Effectively manage a diverse workforce.
- Mentoring and leading staff in concert with organizational goals and objectives.
- Provide oversight of cost containment measures related to programs.
- Provide strategic thinking and planning.
- Lead initiatives resulting in delivery of quality customer service and programs.
- Collaborate with other agencies, contractors and individuals to attain successful results.
- Foster great employee relations.
- Successfully implement changes.
- Provide for full accountability of staff and program delivery.
Non-Essential Functions: Serve on task forces, committees, teams and focus groups to accomplish common enterprise and organizational goals. Coordinates high level activities related to solid waste issues and challenges. Attend public meetings/presentations as required.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in specific field of endeavor and six (6) years of related experience OR A Master's Degree with four (4) or more years of related experience. At least four (4) or more years of supervisory experience required. Advanced professional certification highly desirable. May consider substituting years of experience for the four (4) year degree. Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License.
Preferred Qualifications: Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) certification in solid waste management, collections, or landfill operations; ICS 100-400; IS 700-800.
- Ability to handle complex and difficult assignments in a timely manner. mentor and lead staff in concert with organizational goals and objectives, foster great employee relations, successfully implement changes, and provide for full accountability of staff and program delivery.
- Skill in: Strategic thinking and planning, leading initiatives resulting in delivery of quality customer service and programs and utilizing Microsoft Office Applications.
- Knowledge in Florida Solid Waste Rules.
Physical Demands: There is occasional work around fumes, airborne particles and/or toxic/caustic chemicals as well as outdoor weather conditions (cold, heat, wet).
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA
Apply online at: http://bit.ly/2OML0FU