Director, Public Utilities (Official Job Title: Director): Provides leadership, management and supervision to all aspects of Public Utilities including, Water/Wastewater, Utility Engineering, Finance, Solid Waste and Administrative Services/Customer Service. Responsible for all activities related to management of the Public Utilities Department.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Responsible for the overall direction including short- and long-range planning and program objectives of the Public Utilities Department which includes: Water/Wastewater, Utility Engineering, Finance, Solid Waste and Administrative Services/Customer Service.
- In coordination with the managers, directs activities and programs of the department to ensure adherence to applicable laws, regulations, rules, policies, and procedures, and that goals, objective and standards are met in a timely and effective manner; ensures work programs, practices, procedures and policies are developed and administered for improving the effectiveness of the Public Utilities programs and projects; develops legal policy issues for the department with the Office of the County Attorney.
- Accountable for overall financial stability and cost containment of the department, through budget preparation, business planning and staffing plans. Performs periodic cost and productivity analysis to ensure efficient and appropriate use of funding.
- Makes presentations to the Board of County Commissioners, various citizen groups and the general public on county-wide utility system related matters; directs the development of documentation to recommend and support Commission actions; serves as the spokesperson for Public Utilities advocating the County’s mission, vision, and values; serves as the liaison to County Administrator, Board of County Commissioners and other County directors and managers: liaison to Federal, State and local governmental agencies, engineering consultants and contractors.
- Formulates long-range plans and cost estimates pertaining to future expansion of water and sewer systems and development of future water supply sources; participates in the design and construction of new water and sewage utility plants and systems; directs the departments utility acquisition program.
- Negotiates or participates in negotiation of contracts and agreements related to Public Utilities in coordination with the Procurement division and the County Attorney’s Office.
- Directs assigned staff, which includes work allocation, training and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Public or Business Administration, Civil or Environmental Engineering, or a related field AND ten (10) years of related experience -OR- A Master's Degree with eight (8) or more years of related experience. Six (6) or more years of supervisory/management experience. Advanced professional certification highly desirable.
Preferred Qualification: Previous work as a high-level manager is preferred.
Job Based Competencies: Knowledge of utility planning, water resources and solid waste programming; knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations; excellent client/customer relations, ability to communicate and negotiate in a savvy and professional manner; ability to manage projects and people; sensitive interpersonal skills; ability to supervise/guide/develop others; ability to develop and manage financial budget/s and business plans; excellent presentation skills; ability to advise and mentor others; creative and strategic thinking ability; ability to oversee and coordination multiple divisions; excellent judgment and discretion; ability to handle and deal with group dynamics.
If you’re ready to join a fun, fast-paced team
to make Sarasota the premier community to live, work and play, apply now!
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA
Please visit our website and APPLY at https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADVANCE&cws=40&rid=4341