SARASOTA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
Finance Manager – Manager II – Utilities Finance
About Our Job
This is a professional, managerial position which manages all the functions of the Public Utilities Finance division and assigned personnel. Responsibilities include operational oversight, strategic planning, budget preparation, direct supervision of employees, performance management, recruitment, interviewing, employee relations, employee development, productivity and efficiency, citizen and community relations, communications, assigned projects or programs and development and implementation of policies and procedures. The focus of this position is on operational management with both long and short-range fiscal and capital related assignments. This position reports to the Business Operations Manager of Public Utilities.
- Provides guidance and enterprise fund leadership to the Director and Managers in the Public Utilities Department for the development of financial plans related to rate and fee structure, short and long term borrowing, debt service and fund balance management and special projects, including, but not limited to, financial planning; financial modeling, including revenue and expenditure projections for all three Divisions; budget monitoring; capital projects coordination with associated funding recommendations; management of debt obligations, including recommendations for new revenue bonds, bank loans, State Revolving Fund loans and other types of debt and the refunding or defeasance of existing revenue bonds, bank loans, SRF loans or other types of debt.
- Manages and oversees the Finance Division that supports the entire Public Utilities Department. Responsible for direct supervision of employees, promoting trustworthy working relationships, performance management, recruitment, interviewing, employee relations, employee development, productivity and efficiency, citizen and community relations, communications, assigned projects or programs and development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the Utilities’ system information in the Official Statements associated with issuing new revenue bonds; reviews debt recommendations and debt analyses provided by the County’s Financial Advisor or as submitted by other independent financial firms; actively participates in large contract negotiations.
- Participates in the annual strategic and business planning efforts, and the development of the operating and CIP budgets, including recommendations regarding large, multi-year projects.
- Keeps the Business Operations Division Manager and the Public Utilities Operations Managers informed of possible issues associated with financial decisions.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field and four (4) years of job-related experience. An Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university and six (6) years of job-related experience. Two or more years of supervisory experience required. Year-for-year experience may substitute for the college degree.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced professional certification highly desirable. Utility accounting experience in a government environment and/or utility rate model experience.
Job Competencies: Knowledge of governmental budgeting with ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports, legislation/statutes, debt rating surveillances and legal documents. Knowledge of utility rate structures and ability to manage rate models. Ability to complete complex and difficult assignments. Ability to collect, compile, analyze and interpret data including strong quantitative analysis capability. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to various groups at all levels of the organization. Knowledge of principles of cost benefit analysis models and application to government business practices. Proficient in the use of Word Excel, rate model software applications, Smartsheet, project management software applications.
Pay: $60,174.40 - $79,788.80