SARASOTA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
Business Operations Division Manager – Senior Manager
About Our Job
This is professional senior management level work leading, overseeing and managing the Business Operations Division of the Public Utilities Department including Customer Service and Finance. The focus is on operational management with long and short-range goals and assignments. May also become involved with major community projects that have a significant financial impact. Reports to Director Public Utilities.
· Leads and oversees the Business Operations Division including Finance and Customer Service.
· Responsible for preparing business plans, staffing plans, department and division budgets.
· Participates in the annual strategic and business planning efforts.
· Negotiates or participates in contract negotiations.
· Develops, tracks and monitors performance measures.
· Responsible for policy development and implementation.
· Identifies operational efficiencies, seeks solutions and ensures improvements are made.
· Communicates, interacts with, and may present to County Administrator, BCC members, executive team, internal departments, governmental agencies, consultants, citizens, etc.
· Ensures Call Center Operations are running efficiently and using the most current technology.
Finance and Budget
· Oversees, develops and administers the department and division capital and operational budgets.
· Provides guidance and enterprise fund leadership to the Director and Managers in Public Utilities.
· Ensures financial stability and cost containment of the Department.
· Reviews and authorizes major contracts and/or purchases.
· Responsible for the development of financial plans related to rate and fee structure-, short- and long-term borrowing, debt service and fund balance management.
· Responsible for financial planning, financial modeling, revenue, budget monitoring, debt management and expenditure projections for each division.
· Recommendations new revenue bonds, bank loans, State Revolving Fund loans and other types of debt.
· Oversees and manages the development of rate analyses and related rate recommendations.
Customer and Employee Relations
· Builds citizen and community relations.
· Provides leadership, guidance and support to direct reports.
· Hires, coaches, councils and develops a strong team; ensures opportunities for succession planning and career development; fosters staff professional development, workplace diversity and team building.
· Attends and participates in the Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority’s (PRMRWSA) professional staff meetings, Administrator’s meetings, and attends Board meetings.
Risk Mitigation - manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Finance, Accounting, Business or Public Administration, Engineering, or related field and eight (8) years of progressively responsible related experience OR A Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Finance, Accounting, MBA, MPA or related field with six (6) or more years of related experience. Four (4) or more years of supervisory/management experience required.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous work as a Manager III is preferred; advanced professional certification highly desirable.
Job Competencies: Effective Communication Skills. Extensive experience with the Governmental Accounting, Auditing and Financial Reporting Standards (GAAFR). Working knowledge, and at least an average expertise, of performance measure business concepts. Extensive management level experience with water/wastewater utility acquisitions, bond and rate financial structures, Operating and CIP Budgets, and public speaking are required.
Pay: $81,744.00 - $110,593.60