Manages and directs the financial operations of the Tax Collector Office, ensuring compliance of all applicable federal and state laws, county ordinances and applicable policies and procedures of the Tax Collector’s Office in relation to fiscal management. Develop and maintain a positive relationship with patrons and co-workers resulting in a friendly and efficient office environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Foster an open inviting environment for patrons and co-workers, portraying ethical
and professional behavior in appearance, attitude and demeanor.
- Ensure that the finance functions comply with applicable Federal and State laws,
County ordinances, Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB); Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Tax Collector approved policies and
- Supervise and mentor staff as necessary, including providing professional and
technical support to all personnel in accounting and accountability, purchasing and
- Participates in preparation of the budget; performs statistical analysis.
- Recommend and implement financial policies and procedures; establish and maintain cash
- Prepare and oversee reconciliation of bank statements.
- Responsible for Request for Proposals (RFP) process in selection of services in banking,
- Ensure security for all department credit cards and verifies charges.
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded and entered into the applicable computerized
- Ensure oversight of all audit processes in a timely efficient manner.
- Ensure timely reconciliation of all cash and investment accounts and posts to the
- Responsible for the submission of all required financial reports in a timely and
accurate manner, including state and federal regulatory reports.
- Ensure the safeguarding of all Public funds.
- Responsible for the preparation of year-end closing, work papers and supplementary
schedules for the external auditors in connection with the Tax Collector Office annual
financial audit. Coordinates the annual audit and works with the external auditors as
- Oversee financial operations including internal controls (segregation of duties) and
ensures legality of all expenditures; including daily monitoring of investments plans.
- Responsible for payroll processing, verification and reporting of benefit payments, leave
accruals and compliance with all deductions and remittances;
- Responsible for records management, retention and destruction of all financial records in
accordance with applicable state statutes.
- Ensure Tax Collector & Deputy Tax Collector are kept fully informed of all pertinent matters
- Recommends new hire candidate selections, completes evaluations and monitors finance
staff for policy compliance and communicates with human resources for appropriate
- Responsible for building and maintaining a strong working relationship with all staff, finance
departments of all taxing authorities, vendors and all partner agencies.
- Assist the Tax Collector’s Office in any necessary duties to achieve office goals.
- Conduct oral and written presentations as required to appropriate audiences.
- Represent the Office of the Tax Collector with integrity and respect. Portray the core values
of a professional and innovative team, in a courteous and ethical manner, that is open and
inviting to the public.
- Perform all other duties, as assigned.
(These essential job duties and responsibilities are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed.)
- Working knowledge of governmental accounting principles, and procedures.
- Ability to research and interpret GASB pronouncements.
- General knowledge of Federal and State grant requirements.
- Ability to learn policies and procedures, county ordinances and Florida Statutes.
- Ability to research transactions, analyze data, prepare reports and compile data from a variety of financial records.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with employees, external auditors, other governmental agencies and the general public.
- Ability to manage and accept responsibility for tasks.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems including proficiency with spreadsheets, word processing and presentation software (Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point).
- Considerable knowledge of business English, math, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in applying and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with overall county operations and an ability to understand correlation between internal operating departments.
- Ability to use independent judgement, work with minimal supervision and recognize and establish priorities.
- General knowledge of the legislative process.
- Ability to succeed and lead a team and implement and sustain a culture that is productive, professional, positive and helpful.
- Ability to travel when necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution in Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, Organizational management or closely related field; or any equivalent combination of experience, training and or education may be substituted.
- Minimum seven (7) to ten (10) years’ experience in Governmental Accounting and Budgeting. Tax Collector’s Office experience preferred.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS/ REGISTRATIONS
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s license.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
Ability to communicate using speech, vision and hearing; operate standard business machines, access file cabinets or filing and retrieval of data.
Work involves a significant amount of standing, walking, sitting, talking, listening, stooping and reaching and must be able to lift and carry objects in excess of 20 pounds.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability)
- Duties are primarily performed within an office environment or setting.
- All individuals hired on or after December 31, 2013 shall refrain from any use of tobacco products during work hours, as a condition of employment, and will be required to sign a Tobacco Products Use Affidavit.
Successful candidate must maintain residency within Putnam County and pass a criminal background check.