SARASOTA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
About Our Job
US News & World Reported that Sarasota, Florida is the number 1 place in Florida and Number 9 in the country for best places to live. We need your help to create wonderful experiences for residents and vacationing guests navigating Sarasota. We have an excellent opportunity to join the team for Planning and Development Services, as a Comprehensive Planning Manager. In this role you will serve as the principal advisor for Comprehensive Planning related issues to the Board of County Commissioners, Planning Commission, the County Administrator, Directors, and the public. Sarasota County is the premier community where people choose to live, work, and play so apply today!
- Organize and manage the maintenance and effectiveness of the Comprehensive Plan and ultimate implementation through land development regulations. Ensure state requirements are met, including, but not limited to amendments to the Capital Improvement Element (CIE), Future Land Use Element, etc. and amends per Evaluation and Appraisal Reporting (EAR) criteria.
- Work side-by-side with the Current Planning and Zoning Sections within the Division to ensure consistency between the Goals, Objectives, and Policies (GOPs) of the Board of County Commissioners (Board) and the land development regulations within the Unified Development Code and their implementation. Ensure the Comprehensive Plan is up-to-date and relevant based on the Board’s GOPs and state mandates/initiatives.
- Represent Comprehensive Planning in public hearings and presentations and meetings with the Sarasota County Commission, Planning Commission, County Attorney, and other County Departments; coordinate with other departments, municipalities, adjacent county governments and other jurisdictions in the development of growth management policy recommendations and ensures consistency with state initiatives related to land use issues. Advise and assist other regional and state agencies, citizen groups, property owners, organizations, attorneys, and any other interested parties with respect to strategic planning initiatives and projects.
- Manage yearly demographics needs, annual population estimates, economic data, development monitoring, including residential capacity analysis for the Evaluation and Appraisal Reports.
- Assist and support the Division Manager with overall leadership, coordination, management, and administration of the Comprehensive Planning Section.
- Represent the Division at public/community meetings, assist with read aheads and presentations to the Board, continually reevaluate, rethink and question processes, procedures, budgets, business plans, staffing plans, performance measures and methods that affect the efficiency, quality, and cost of services.
- Promote effective and trustworthy working relationships by developing and empowering employees, promoting, and supporting collaboration, excellence, efficiency, innovation, openness, and teamwork among staff.
- Manage proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection, and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversee financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; review audit findings and ensure appropriate controls are established and implemented.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban and Regional Planning or a major recognized by the American Planning Association as “related,” and four years experience in the field of land use and/or public facilities planning, of which two (2) years have been in a supervisory capacity.
- OR- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban and Regional Planning or a major recognized by the American Planning Association as “related” can be substituted for one year of non-supervisory experience
- OR- Associate degree from an accredited college or university and 6-years of job-related experience; year-for-year progressively responsible professional experience can substitute for the college degree.
- AICP certification
- Project Management certification
- FEMA training
About Everything Else
Starting Salary Range: $74,000.00 – $85,000.00 depending on experience
APPLY TODAY: https://bit.ly/42BySva