General Description: The City Clerk is appointed by the City Council and is under general administrative direction of the Manager. The person who fills this position is detail oriented and should possess strong verbal and written communication skills, organizational, managerial, analytical, and interpersonal skills, and must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications; is held to a high standard of integrity; prepares agendas, posts notices and attends and records proceedings of official meetings of City Council; holds high-level responsibility for maintenance and custody of the official records of the City; serves as the City ‘s Records Management Officer; answers inquiries by the public; prepares and presents reports at requested intervals; acts as an election official; and, executes other duties or related work as assigned or required.
Duties & Responsibilities: The City Clerk performs the following duties as well as any additional duties: Staff and maintain an office open to the public during business hours established by the Council. Post all agendas for the City Council, City commissions and City boards. Prepare and distribute meeting information packets for City Council and City commissions and boards.
- Attend each meeting of the City council and City commissions and boards as assigned.
- Prepare official minutes for City Council.
- Keep, in a record provided for that purpose, accurate minutes of the City council’s proceedings.
- Administer Oath of Office to City officials.
- Provide staff support for City council and City boards as assigned.
- Prepare Ordinances, Resolutions, and Proclamations.
- Engross and enroll all laws, resolutions, and ordinances of the City council.
- Keep the corporate seal and attest to all ordinances, resolutions, and official documents of the City.
- Take charge of, arrange, and maintain the records of the City council; and, official City records as provided by ordinance or State Law.
- Coordinate, plan, and administer the City ’s municipal elections.
- Prepare, maintain, and publish all notices required by law under, regulation or ordinance of the City.
- Maintain and update notices and documents on the City website appropriate to the office.
- Carefully keep all contracts and agreements made by the City council.
- Serve as the Records Management Officer of the City and maintains all records in accordance with records retention requirements as adopted by the City and ensures the City ’s compliance with state records retention requirements.
- Receive and process all requests for public information (open records requests) in accordance with the Florida Sunshine Law and Freedom of Information Act to include gathering of requested information.
- Compose, type and print letters, memorandums, and correspondence.
- Complete inter-governmental and inter-agency reports.
- Attend training as required by law, order of the City council, or as directed by Council.
- Perform all other duties required by law, ordinance, resolution, order of the City council, or as directed by the City Manager.
Knowledge Required: The City Clerk performs a wide range of duties that requires a wide range of knowledge including, but not limited to:
- Laws and ordinances relating to the powers and duties of the City.
- Laws and ordinances relating to the powers and duties of the clerk.
- Federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, ordinances and codes governing municipal government record keeping, public meetings, municipal elections, government finance, and municipal administrative management practices and procedures.
Ability to: Understand, interpret, and apply City ordinances and policies applicable to a wide variety of situations.
- Effectively respond to stressful or high-pressure environments, meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks.
- Plan, schedule and work independently in the absence of specific instructions.
- Establish, accept, delegate, and control policies and procedures of the City.
- Read, write, and communicate courteously and effectively, in person or by telephone, with elected and appointed officials, staff and the public.
- Use tact and diplomacy.
- Identify ways to incorporate new practices into existing framework.
- Handle confidential information in a responsible manner.
- Work a flexible schedule.
- Perform with frequent interruptions and deal with a wide variety of people.
- Manage and coordinate the operations of the office and ensures all official City activities follow federal, state, and City policies, ordinances and practices.
- Use computers to perform general clerical, and data entry.
- Remain stationary 75% of the day.
- Lift, carry and put away such items as records and office supplies of moderate weight of up to 40 pounds.
- Constantly position self to maintain computer, office equipment, and records.
Requirements: Associate or Bachelor’s degree required. Experience preferred.
Municipal administration experience with a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience is preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed. Notary Public required (within six months of employment).
PLEASE SUBMIT COVER LETTER, RESUME AND 3 REFERENCES FOR CONSIDERATION TO:
HUMAN RESOURCES AT email@example.com
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status