SOLID WASTE /ANIMAL CONTROL DIRECTOR
Grade 33: $55,665.35 ($26.76/hr.) - $76,735.30 ($36.89/hr.)
*Submit Applications with Resume to the Human Resources Department @ 205 Hanchey Road, Wauchula, FL 33873, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For any questions, please contact HR Department @ (863) 773-2161.
DEPARTMENT: SOLID WASTE/ANIMAL CONTROL
DIVISION: PUBLIC WORKS
This is highly responsible work in construction and maintenance of landfill facilities, the use and maintenance of heavy equipment and recycling operations according to County policy and regulatory agency rules. Manages the enforcement of the County ordinance, which pertains to domestic animals. Oversees and provides for the proper housing and care of animals in the County’s kennels. Reports to the Public Works Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Plans, coordinates, assigns, and supervises employees in landfill and animal control, delegates authority to subordinates and sees that work is completed in accordance with established procedures and schedules.
2. Maintains records of work performed and prepares reports as necessary.
3. Receives complaints and requests from public and responds in keeping with established policies.
4. Follows construction plans.
5. Arranges for materials and equipment necessary for construction projects and assigns specific duties.
6. Uses own judgment on methods and manner of construction, when necessary, on minor matters.
7. Makes inspections of construction as required.
8. Coordinates and supervises operation of landfill equipment.
9. Makes general and detailed assignments of work to equipment operators, clerical personnel and reviews work performed as necessary.
10. Ensures proper operation and maintenance of mechanical equipment with emphasis on minor preventive maintenance.
11. Coordinates repairs as necessary.
12. Prepares budget documents and oversees operations within budget appropriations.
13. Coordinates with consultants who conduct site testing and measurements needed for preparing
various reports required by regulatory agencies.
14. Promotes the rehoming and adoption of animals housed in the kennels to the public. Ensures
that county and state Animal Control Enforcement regulations/ordinances are enforced.
15. Represents the County in legal matters.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Extensive knowledge of the methods, materials, and equipment common to landfill construction and
maintenance. Ability to plan, direct and supervise the work of equipment operators, skilled and unskilled laborers, and clerical personnel. Ability to comprehend and implement operational rules of the Department of Environmental Protection, The Southwest Florida Water Management District and other regulatory agencies as may apply. Ability to become certified as a Landfill Operator. Knowledge of standard practices used in earthwork and in construction. Ability to present programs and to make written and oral reports. Ability to deal with the public, county employees, and officials tactfully and effectively. Ability to perform work occasionally under adverse weather conditions. Ability to operate computer equipment hardware and software including Microsoft Office, Outlook (email), Word and Excel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Two- or four-year college degree (4-year degree preferred) in Business Management, Engineering, or related field plus one year of supervisory level experience in construction, facility and/or equipment operation and maintenance or landfill operations. OR High School Graduate / GED with three (3) years' supervisory level experience, ability in reading engineered plans and specifications, three (3) years' experience managing the operation and maintenance of heavy equipment. Must have a general knowledge of office practices that includes acceptable computer skills.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain Landfill Operators Certification as directed by the county within one (1) year of hire date.
- Certified Animal Control Officer or ability to achieve certification, by taking next scheduled State Animal Control Officers School.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction).
- Acceptable hearing (with or without correction).
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to climb slopes, mount, and dismount equipment.
Driving of vehicles.
- Works inside and occasionally outside.
This is a disaster essential position
(Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)