Title: Assistant City Attorney
Organization: City of Pensacola
Department: Office of the City Attorney
Location: 222 W. Main St. Pensacola, FL 32501
Salary Range: $82,430.40-$144,206.40 annually dependent on knowledge and experience
***This executive position is exempt from Veteran's Preference according to FL Statute 110.205 (2) (j)***
The ideal candidate will have experience in real property transactions, including complex leases and development agreements; public finance and procurement; and/or commercial contracts.
Application Close Date: Friday June 4, 2021 11:59pm
Please apply through the City of Pensacola Job Website: www.pensacolacityjobs.com
This is professional work in the area of legal interpretation and legal representation.
An employee in this class serves under the direction of the City Attorney and performs a variety of legal duties supporting the Office of the City Attorney.
- Graduation from an accredited school of law with a jurisprudence doctorate (J.D.) degree;
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Florida and membership in good standing with The Florida Bar; and
- Three (3) years of practicing law with at least two (2) years of public sector law experience
Examples of Work:
- Performs legal research and prepares legal opinions at the direction of the City Attorney.
- Represents the City's interests in all cases in state and federal courts, including appellate courts.
- Represents the City at various board and commission meetings.
- Reviews, drafts, revises and approves the execution of contracts on behalf of the City.
- Drafts and revises ordinances, resolutions, memoranda and local correspondence.
- Attends City Council meetings with the City Attorney or in the City Attorney's absence.
- Attends seminars or other required training to enhance job knowledge and maintain bar license requirements.
- Makes decisions in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and policies.
- Assists and oversees responses to complex or difficult public records requests.
- Directs, supervises, assists, and supports legal clerical staff in the preparation and completion of legal forms, scheduling of meetings and maintenance of case management software system.
- Maintains prompt and regular attendance.
- Performs other job duties and special tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of local government law and practices.
- Knowledge of particular areas of the law dependent on position and assignments.
- Knowledge of Federal and State law affecting municipal operations.
- Knowledge of local government functions, procedures and law.
- Ability to advise a variety of persons on legal matters.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with the judiciary, other lawyers, elected officials, City staff and citizens.
- Ability to analyze simple to complex scenarios to provide legal advice accordingly.
- Ability to multi-task while working with tight deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Ability to organize work for timely completion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, elected officials and members of the public.
- Ability to prepare simple to complex legal documents on a timely basis.
- Eligible to be bonded.