Register now for this hands-on, 3.5-day workshop that will introduce you to basic GIS knowledge and skills for real world applications!
December 14-17, 2015 || Gainesville, FL
Florida Sea Grant and the University of Florida IFAS Extension invite you to register for this premier 3.5-day intensive workshop on ArcGIS 10.3, a powerful tool for managing natural resources and guiding growth and development processes.
You will be introduced to ArcGIS Desktop, the primary product used by professionals to compile, analyze, and manage geographic information.
You will learn the most commonly used GIS skills in the industry today by completing “real-world” exercises that will build your confidence using GIS, increase your awareness about GIS data sources, and help you explore GIS tools to enhance your program and research projects.
The training will consist of a series of short lectures, each to be followed by natural resource-based exercises that attendees will complete using ArcGIS 10.3. During the training, each participant will have access to a computer workstation, and several trainers will be on-hand to provide assistance.
Who should attend
This workshop is designed for:
· Agency professionals
· University researchers
· UF faculty, staff, and students
· Conservation land managers
· Environmental engineers
· Biological scientists
· Environmental program managers
· County extension agents
· Private consultants
· Anyone who can benefit from using GIS to make decisions in natural resource and coastal management
What you will learn
After completing this workshop you will know:
· What GIS is and what can it do
· Navigating the ArcGIS Desktop
· Spatial scale, accuracy, and precision
· Solving water and/or land-use problems with GIS
· working with spatial coordinate systems
· Acquiring GIS data layers and creating new spatial features
· Making and designing high-quality maps
· Geoprocessing with ArcGIS Tools and Extensions
· Creating models in ModelBuilder
· Where to get help and data
About the instructors
This workshop is conducted by instructors associated with Florida Sea Grant and the School of Forest Resources and Conservation within the UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. Trainers have been teaching GIS for more than eight years to hundreds of students and professionals from different fields.
The course fee includes all instructor fees, computer lab fees and materials. You will take home a valuable reference workbook with a copy of the PowerPoint slides presented in class, performed exercises, a “cheat sheet” of common tools and menus used in ArcGIS, and a CD with data and other helpful information such as GIS data sources, complementary articles, and more.
UF Faculty and Staff——---—$550
UF Students —————----——-$300
For more information or to register visit: