- Summary: Expands Schedule I of the controlled substances register to include 22 new formulas of synthetic drugs; all 22 formulas were included in the Attorney General’s December 2012 Emergency Order outlawing them.
- Status: Both bills were heard in committee this week and passed. The Senate has two more committees and the House only has one more.
- Summary: Seek to permit local governments to regulate carry of concealed weapons in public buildings or government-sponsored outdoor public venues.
- Status: No bill has been heard in committee. Senate bill has been referred to four committees; House has been referred to three committees.
- Requires physicians to consult PDMP prior to prescribing drugs to new patients
- Removes restriction on state funding for PDMP
- Places a moratorium on new county ordinances
- The House bill directs a workgroup to create a model county ordinance to go into effect in 2014 limited to zoning matters; no county ordinance can be stricter or go beyond model ordinance
- Whereas the Senate bill preempts the regulation of pain clinics and its practitioners, as well as, pharmacies, pharmacists, and health care facilities to the State.
- Status: Both bills have been referred to three committees but are not yet on the agenda.
Texting While Driving
SB 52 (S. Detert)
- Creates “Florida Ban on Texting While Driving Law”
- Makes texting, emailing or instant messaging while driving a secondary offense
- Does not ban such activities when a vehicle is stationary
- A first violation is a nonmoving violation and subsequent offenses within a 5 year period is a moving violation with fines and points assessed
- Status: The Senate bill has passed two of its three committees and the House bill passed its first of three committees this week.