POSITION: Development Review Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Engineering Services
REPORTS: Senior County Engineer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Salary Range: $55,832.78 – $84,956.10 Annually
Apply At: Applications will be accepted until filled. Application and job description can be obtained
from the Human Resources Department located at 96135 Nassau Place, Suite 5, Yulee, Florida 32097, Telephone (904) 530-6075 or Fax (904)
321-5797, or at www.nassaucountyfl.com. Drug Free Workplace. This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference in accordance with applicable laws.
Provides complex professional work ensuring proper application of Civil Engineering principles and
techniques, for the Engineering Services Department.
• Provides support to the Chief Development Review Engineer in the development review
• Reviews, evaluates and presents technical analyses of applications submitted for public
• Advises Development Review technical staff in highly complex technical matters
concerning plan review and construction inspections functions.
• Attends Development Review Committee meetings to discuss project coordination,
procedures and acceptance.
• Attends public hearings, meetings and pre-construction conferences, etc., concerning
• Provides specific input in association with other staff members to review, develop and update
existing rules, regulations, ordinances, specifications and procedures associated with land
development and Capital Improvement Projects.
• Reviews technical documents as submitted by engineers and developers for compliance with
Nassau County Code of Ordinances, Right-of-Way, Development Review, etc.
• Meets with developers and staff to discuss proposed projects as directed.
• Reviews technical documents as submitted by engineers and developers.
• Meets with developers and staff to discuss proposed projects.
• Prepares status reports as directed. Prepares exhibits to aid in Board decision making.
• Performs and completes special projects as assigned.
• Attends training, continuing education, seminars, etc. to enhance and maintain essential
• Performs a variety of routine administrative duties as required, which may include but are not
limited to preparing reports and correspondence, entering computer data, attending and
preparing minutes of meetings, answering the phone, etc.
• Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the Board of County
Commissioners, County Attorney, subordinates, County employees, developers, engineers,
contractors, consultants, municipal personnel, various other Local, State, Federal agencies,
vendors and the general public.
• Operates a vehicle and a variety of equipment which may include a computer, printer, fax
machine, copier, calculator, telephone, two-way radio; utilizes an engineering and
Development Review Engineer
architectural scale, etc.
• Attends and remains at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding
absenteeism and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to higher management with respect to
vacation time and leave requests.
• Performs related duties as required.
(These essential functions are not a complete statement of all duties required of the job. Employees will be required to
perform such other related job duties as may be assigned or required.)
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering. Must possess a State of Florida Certificate
as an Engineer in Training or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess a valid State Driver’s
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the functions and interrelationships of County and Governmental agencies.
• Knowledge of Civil Engineering theories and practices as applied to engineering.
• Knowledge of the materials and equipment used in the Engineering Services operations.
• Knowledge of the various permits required by Local, State and Federal agencies for
Engineering Services construction and operation projects.
• Knowledge of GIS and mapping systems.
• Ability to provide technical knowledge in the development of engineering designs,
specifications, cost estimates and project plans.
• Ability to make sound, educated decisions.
• Ability to take the initiative to complete the duties of the position with limited supervision.
• Ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
• Ability to assist a diverse group of employees.
• Knowledge of proper English usage, punctuation, spelling and grammar.
• Knowledge of modern office practices and technology.
• Ability to use a computer for word processing and records management.
• Ability to read and interpret various materials pertaining to the responsibilities of the job.
• Ability to assemble and analyze information and prepare reports and records in a concise,
clear and effective manner.
• Ability to produce quality work despite the stress of deadlines.
• Knowledge of the terminology and various professional languages used within the
• Ability to maintain effective relationships with co-workers and personnel in other
departments, professionals and members of the public through contact and cooperation.
• Ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to improve job performance and
• Ability to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
• Lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs.
• Pushing and pulling
• Climbing on ladders, on steps or on the ground
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability)
• Works inside in an office environment and occasionally out of doors with the ability to
perform work effectively despite occasional exposure to adverse environmental conditions,
including temperature extremes, wetness/humidity, rain, electrical currents, machinery
hazards, uneven terrain, toxic agents, vibrations, noise extremes, fumes, dirt, dust, pollen,
• Has knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the industry.