- Population: 141,236 (2010 census)
- 33rd Most Populous County in Florida
- Established on June 2, 1887
- The 44th county established in Florida
- Citrus County was named for the county’s abundant citrus trees.
- County Seat: Inverness
- There are 2 incorporated communities in Citrus: Inverness and Crystal River
- Largest employment sectors: Medical and Government
- Citrus County is considered the Manatee Capital of the World. This is the only place in the world you are able to legally interact and swim with manatees.
- The Withlacoochee River provides 45 miles of waterfront.
- Tsala Apopka chain of lakes runs 22 miles long, covering 23,000 acres.
- Citrus County has 3 first magnitude springs: Crystal River/Kings Bay, Homosassa River, and Chasshowitzka River
- Citrus County has 50 miles of paved trails and 21.5 miles of unpaved trails to be used for walking, biking, and horseback riding.
- Elvis Presley’s ninth movie “Follow That Dream” was filmed in Citrus County in 1961, with the Old Citrus County Courthouse courtroom being the location of the movie’s pivotal scene where Elvis delivers a stirring courtroom argument.
Citrus County government offers a monthly electronic newsletter to citizens. This publication provides information on upcoming projects, events, workshops, and much more so citizens can stay informed on what is happening in Citrus County!
If you would like to highlight your county in News & Notes email us!